Jul 22, 2009

In Memory of My Grandpap

These last few weeks have been a whirlwind. My grandpap, Walter Douglas Fairfax, passed away on Thursday, July 2, 2009. It was expected, but still very tough to take in. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure years ago and things just went downhill from there. He was 94 when he died.

We were in Pennsylvania about a week for the visitation and funeral which were held on Monday, July 6th. Family and friends had the opportunity to share stories or memories about grandpap...that was the part I liked best. I found myself wishing I would've taken advantage of the time I had while he was around. In my mind, I came up with lots of questions to ask him; questions about him growing up and what life was like, questions about my mom as a kid. There was so much I didn't know about him. Even though I know I can't go back, I do have fond memories of him. I've listed some below:

*Going to flea markets with him. One man's trash is another man's treasure! He loved going to these things and usually knew everybody there!

*Seeing him on his tractor. Nothing could come between grandpap and his tractor. I'm convinced he's in heaven riding around on one of those babies!

*Going to Long John Silver's...his treat (with coupons). Nothing beat their fish dinners! We had no choice...we HAD to get the fish dinner!

*I loved how he said what he thought. At Jim's and my wedding, grandpap made a comment about a friend of ours wearing shorts (if you know this friend, you know this is how he 'dresses' up). Our videographer caught grandpap's comment on video and it's hilarious!

*I will miss the smell of the air at his place. It had such a sweet, fresh smell; one of those smells that you associate with a particular time in your life. From time to time I get a hint of that sweet air here in Tennessee...it takes me back to days visiting my grandpap.

Here we are in 1999 or 2000, I think.

This one was taken in August of 2008. This was Tessa meeting her great-grandpap for the 1st time!

1 comment:

Michelle Lynne said...

Hey, Taryn! I am catching up on blogs and just now read about your Grandpap! I am so sorry to hear about his passing! I know how special he was to you!!